The aim of the conference is to present results and experiences from NordForsk’s first ten years and to discuss the future development of Nordic research collaboration. Keynote speakers will give their views and visions followed by a panel discussion.
By invitation only.
Conference venue: Gamle Logen, Grev Wedels Plass 2, Oslo
Moderator: Quentin Cooper
9:00-10:00: Registration and coffee
10:00-11:00 – Opening session
- Welcome speech by Dagfinn Høybråten, Secretary General of the Nordic Council of Ministers
- Opening speech by Mikkel Leihardt, Chair, Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Education & Research (EK-U), and representative of the Danish Presidency of the Nordic Council of Ministers
- NordForsk and Nordic research collaboration, Marja Makarow, Chair of the NordForsk Board
- Key events in the early development of NordForsk, Gustav Björkstrand, former Finnish Minister for Education and Culture and NordForsk's founding father
11:00 - 12:30 - Experiences and results from Nordic research collaboration
- Ilona Riipinen (Stockholm University)
- Jason D. Whittington (University of Oslo)
- Guðrún Pétursdóttir (University of Iceland)
- Mark Serreze (University of Colorado)
- Camilla Stoltenberg (Director-General of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health)
13:30-14:30 Trends and visions for Nordic research cooperation
Keynote speakers - The future of Nordic research collaboration and NordForsk’s role
- A research funding perspective: Ewa Ställdal, Director General of Forte, the Swedish Research Council for Health, Working Life and Welfare
- A university perspective: Thomas Wilhelmsson, Chancellor of the University of Helsinki
- A political perspective: Bjørn Haugstad, State Secretary, Ministry of Education and Research, Norway
- An international perspective: Rudolf Strohmeier, Deputy Director General, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission
Coffee break 14:30-15:00
15:00 - 15:30 Top-level Research Initiative film
Presentation of the TRI programme - a major Nordic venture for climate, energy and the environment: Anne Riiser, Head of Communications, NordForsk
15:30 - 16:45 Panel discussion: Future directions – How should Nordic research collaboration develop in the coming years?
- Jerzy Langer, Professor of physics, Polish Academy of Sciences
- Jens Oddershede - Chair, The Danish Council for Research and Innovation Policy
- Anna Sjöström Douagi, CEO, Young Academy of Sweden
- Curt Rice, Rector, Oslo and Akershus University College
- Þorgerður Katrín Gunnarsdóttir, former Minister of Education, Science and Culture, Iceland
Reflections and concluding remarks: Gunnel Gustafsson, Director NordForsk
Bus to Ekebergrestauranten leaves Gamle Logen shortly after the conference ends.
If you wish to check-in at your hotel before attending the dinner, you may do so after the conference. However, as Ekebergrestauranten is not located in central Oslo, you will need to take a taxi or public transportation to the restaurant.
18:00 Aperitif and dinner at Ekebergrestauranten
- Speech by President of the Storting - the Norwegian Parliament - Olemic Thommessen