Nordic Centre of Excellence
The aim is to promote Nordic cooperation between outstanding researchers and research institutions, through strategic initiatives within areas of priority when this adds value to research in the Nordic countries. The intention is that the best research contribution that the Nordic region can offer, should be made visible and thus have increased influence in Europe and in the international research world in a broader sense.
A Nordic Centre of Excellence may be multilocated i.e., distributed over several research institutions. They are established within research areas which have high priority in the Nordic countries. A NCoE must have a joint research agenda, coordinated researcher training and collaboration on research infrastructures. Through increased use of Nordic research infrastructure and cooperation across country borders researchers are given the opportunity for strengthened excellence and increased impact on the international arena. Within the NCoE opportunities are created for young researchers to be established in excellent research environments.
Priority is given to research judged to have considerable potential to result in long-term knowledge based progress. An NCoE is usually built on cooperation between at least three countries within one topic or field.
- Towards Versatility of Aquatic Production Platforms: Unlocking the Value of Nordic Bioresources (NordAqua)
- An Integrating Nexus of Land and Water Management for a Sustainable Nordic Bioeconomy (BIOWATER)
- Beyond the Gender Paradox: Women's careers in technology-driven research and innovation in and outside of academe
- Nordic Centre for Sustainable and Resilient Aquatic Production (SUREAQUA)
- Nordic Centre for Research on Gender Equality in Research and Innovation (NORDICORE)
- Nordic Centre of Excellence for Security Technologies and Societal Values (NordSTEVA)
- Nordic Centre of Excellence on Resilience and Societal Security (NORDRESS)
- Tools for Investigating Climate Change at High Northern Latitudes (eSTICC)
- Ensemble-based Methods for Environmental Monitoring and Prediction (EmblA)
- Nordic Centre of Excellence: Justice through education in the Nordic countries (JustEd)
- Nordic Information for Action eScience Center (NIASC)
- NCoE HELGA: Nordic Health – Wholegrain Food
- NCoE Reassess: Reassessing the Nordic Welfare Model
- NCoE NordWel:The Nordic Welfare State - historical foundations and future challenges
- NCoE MitoHealth: Centre for Bioactive Food Components and Prevention of Lifestyle Diseases
- NCoE SYSDIET: Systems biology in controlled dietary interventions and cohort studies
- Climate-change effects on the epidemiology of infectious diseases and the impacts on Northern Societies (CLINF)
- Resource Extraction and Sustainable Arctic Communities (REXSAC)
- Reindeer husbandry in a Globalizing North - resilience, adaptations and pathways for actions (NCoE ReiGN)
- Arctic Climate Predictions: Pathways to Resilient, Sustainable Societies (ARCPATH)