During this course, the participants learn to access and handle the data, and get a good overview of the cryospheric research in Nordic countries in three currently running Centres of Excellence (NCoEs) within the Top-level Research Initiative:
The course is based on intensive group work and topics included in the course are:
- Introduction to SMEAR II station, overview of other Nordic and Arctic stations
- Introduction to atmospheric physics and chemistry, boundary layer meteorology, and glacier hydrology
- Biosphere-atmosphere-cryosphere interactions, biogeophysics, fluxes
- Advanced statistical methods
- Analysis of data from Nordic and Arctic stations, combining different datasets
The venue is the Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station in Southern Finland, and the event will be coordinated by University of Helsinki. It will also involve experts from the other Nordic nations working within the three Nordic Centres of Excellence: CRAICC, DEFROST and SVALI.