Strategic analysis of Nordic university cooperation
The NordForsk 2015-2018 strategy strongly targets how to support cooperation among Nordic universities. Based on the strategic priorities of NordForsk, and as assigned by the Nordic Council of Ministers, NordForsk is conducting a strategic analysis and assessment of which areas to prioritise within Nordic university cooperation. The analysis focuses on determining the appropriate criteria and funding mechanisms for Nordic research cooperation, and is carried out in consultation with the Nordic University Association NUS and with the national rectors’ conferences.
Advisory group appointed
The NordForsk Board has appointed a special advisory group, consisting of one member from each of the Nordic countries, to oversee the strategic analysis and provide the NordForsk Board with input and recommendations on how to support Nordic university cooperation in the future. The special advisory group is chaired by Chancellor Emerita Krista Varantola (Finland), and the members are: Dr Agneta Bladh (Sweden), Vice-chancellor Emeritus Jens Oddershede (Denmark), Pro-Rector Kenneth Ruud (Norway), and General Director Hallgrímur Jónasson (Iceland).
The effort will culminate in recommendations to the NordForsk Board including new calls for proposals, planned for launch in 2016.
Evaluation of five Nordic cooperative bodies
As part of the strategic analysis, and also on commission by the Nordic Council of Ministers, NordForsk is conducting an assessment of the scientific quality, relevance and Nordic added value generated by the following five Nordic cooperative bodies: the Nordic Institute for Theoretical Physics (NORDITA), Nordic Institute of Asian Studies (NIAS), former Nordic Sámi Institute (NSI), Nordic Volcanological Centre (NORDVULK), and the Nordic Institute for Maritime Law (NIfS). Scientific quality and relevance will be evaluated by international expert panels appointed by NordForsk.
Results of the assessment
- Assessment Report for the Nordic Institute of Asian Studies NIAS
- Assessment Report for the Scandinavian Institute for Maritime Law (NIfS)
- Assessment Report for the Nordic Institute for Theoretical Physics NORDITA
- Assessment Report for the Nordic Volcanological Center NordVulk
- Assessment Report for the Nordic research programme at Sámi University College (former Nordic Sámi Institute)
- Summary by the Special Advisory Group to NordForsk : The role of the assessment of five Nordic co-operation bodies in the NordForsk strategic analysis of Nordic university co-operation
- Summer 2015 – Assessment of the five Nordic co-operation bodies finalized
- End of 2015 – Mapping and Analysis of Nordic University Co-operation – report published
- Spring 2016 – Final recommendations of Special Advisory Group to NordForsk